Monday, April 21, 2008

Burtday

Today is my father's birthday. His, and Queen Elizabeth's. To celebrate Papa-san's birthday, I offer another of his celebrated ties, above. Note the coffee stain, or perhaps a it's a nice bordeaux. This tie pulled up to tables at some great restaurants.

I propose that April 21st be known as Burtday, and that celebrants take their wildest ties out on the town. Festivities include inviting friends, fighting for the check, tipping the waitstaff generously, and photographing the whole thing, naturally.

Or donate what you would have spent to Rehabilitation Through Photography. But you can still wear the tie, and toast Herbert Keppler, a wonderful man doing wonderful things, and having a simply wonderful time.

1 comment:

Jack Howard said...

Today is also my mother's birthday, and I miss her greatly. She was always my biggest fan and supporter.

I never realized she and Burt shared a birthday until reading this last year.

Her impact on the world of photography was much more personal to me, as she inspired me as a child with subscriptions to wildlife magazines such as Ranger Rick and World, and National Geographic books that managed to take me around the world in pictures.

She passed away in 2002 while I was still just breaking in to the business, shooting for the local paper. Each time I'd visit, she'd have new shots from that week clipped out and taped up in the hallway.

There's no amount of Diggs or re-tweets that can match the sheer exuberance I felt in of her joy in telling me just how much she liked this picture or that each visit.

My mom wouldn't have known who Burt was until I explained it to her, but once I did, she would have been so proud for me.

It was an honor to work with Burt, and it was a terrible honor to be the one who broke the news of his passing online to his legion of fans.

Happy Birthday, Mom. Happy Birthday, Burt.

And Happy Burtday to photographers everywhere.


Jack HowardDirector of New and Social Media/Adorama.comFormerly
Editor, PopPhoto.com